Monday, December 22, 2008

Not So Lighter Note

Christmas always makes me think about my Papa because he passed away around this time. I miss him. I miss he and my grandmother together. I miss the whole family getting together every year on Christmas day and visiting each house. Even though I lost him mentally so very long ago to Alzheimer's, when I lost him physically it was by far the most emotional I've ever been in my entire life. I thought my knees would buckle and my stomach would wretch. It took me so long to say my final goodbye. And when I did, I was an uncontrollable, sobbing mess. I'd never felt anything like that. Death makes you question so many things and you really are at it's mercy. Even though I knew it was coming, I wasn't ready by any means.

I still haven't seen his grave with his gravestone. It's not because I can't bear it or that I've stayed away since the funeral for any purpose other than I just haven't visited. It makes me feel really guilty and I hope to get up there someday, maybe with Britain. Sometimes I'm saddened when I hear my dad joking around with her because it's the way my Papa used to joke around with me. But I'm so glad I had the chance to know him and those are memories I'll keep my entire life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful tribute. Those feelings are difficult to deal with but somehow necessary to the process of grief.
Your grandfather must have been a wonderful person.
I, often, find words inadequate to express sympathetic feelings.
Sorry just does not cover it,eh?!
Hope your holidays still are merry in many many joyful ways! : )

Ron said...

I'll never forget Camp Judson and getting free pops from the machine :)

Also, "I know Ham!"

I know where the grave marker is, and I'll go with you if it makes it easier.

Anonymous said...

Remembering our departed loved ones with a smile on our face and tears in our eyes is the best way to honor their memory. Your grandfather must have been a great man.

Anonymous said...

Howie! Gonna get home?! I loved PaPa Howie. He loved us stepkids just the same. Whay a good guy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, just had to add one more thing. The day your Grandma said the whole "Howie gonna get home" thing was the day you were born. That's all.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.