Friday, December 30, 2005

Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot

My Grandfather passed away yesterday.




It wasn't the first time I had lost someone close to me. It wasn't even much of a shock to any of us, only because he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease over 12 years ago and had been declining for some time now. He had been in the care home he passed on in for almost 11 years. What was most difficult is a toss up between the raw emotion of seeing someone you care about taking their last breath and the way my Grandmother reacted when she finally let go just before it happened. Every day, for those 10 1/2 years, she went down to the home to wash him, feed him, hold his hand, turn him, kiss him, and fall in love all over again with him. Its hard to remember another life for her.

But there IS some memory of my Grandfather before the disease took over...before my Grandmother had to dead bolt the doors so we wouldn't find my Grandfather miles away walking down the streets of Erie again, before she had to switch the faucets in the kitchen to turn backwards because he kept turning them off and on, before he forgot my name, before he forgot HIS name. I remember when I was 8 or 9, my Grandparents used to take my little brother, JR, and I to the dock to feed the ducks every Sunday after church. Yes, I DID once go to church and actually enjoyed it. But thinking back, maybe I had liked hanging out with my Grandparents in any aspect. I'm pretty sure they have always loved me, used to take care of me any chance they could get and for that I am grateful because out of all the cousins, I think JR and I knew my Grandfather the best. He was always joking around the way those grandfathers on the Hallmark commercials do. He would pretend to "steal my nose" and sometimes I believed his thumb really WAS my nose in his fist. He also would always tell me to sing "Far Far Away" and when I asked him what song that was he would just laugh. He would pretend he was asleep and when I would get really close to him napping in the chair, he would jump and scare the hell out of me, almost every time. I remember his gold sedan. I remember his five o'clock shadow. I remember he snickered more than he laughed. I remember he was happy once.

He loved children and having three sons of his own, he was really excited when I came along. I was the first girl on my Dad's side of the family (complicated because my older sisters were from my mother's previous marriage). He would always tell me I was his favorite granddaughter. "But Papa, I'm your ONLY granddaughter."


Next February, my Grandparents would have been married 60 years. When they met, it wasn't soon after that they decided to wed. My Grandmother went above her parents and lied about her young age when they applied for the license. They had three sons, nine grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and I can see a bit of my Grandparents in almost every one of us.

The most amazing thing might be that the home my Grandmother took care of my Grandfather in, men came and went and not one man had a wife that cared for him, watched over him, day in and day out, the way my Grandmother cared for my "Papa". But there was only so much she could do. He was finally ready to rest. He didn't give in or give up. He gave way for a new chapter in my Grandmother's life. He gave her a few more years of health and happiness to enjoy on her own. He gave a present she's too modest or selfless to put on any list. He let her go.

7 comments:

Ron said...

I know what Dad meant when he said "I knew he'd never die of a heart attack, because his heart was too big". He put others before himself, and even in the end, he let us finish eating our dinner before he passed away.

I have never before experienced someone fading like that before my eyes. In a way it was scary and horrible, but in the end I realized that I'll always be glad I was there to watch him go.

I love you, Papa, and hope you'll come visit me and the rest of the family from time to time.


Benedicat tibi Dominus et custodiat te

Ostendat Dominus faciem suam tibi et misereatur tui

Convertat Dominus vultum suum ad te et det tibi pacem. Amen

The Lord bless thee, and keep thee: The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. Amen

Kristen said...

That was really beautiful.

Julie said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What you and Ron said about him was very touching. That was an awesome tribute.

Christie said...

I cried. At work. But it was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Tam. What you wrote was really beautiful; it made me tear up. It sounds like you had a wonderful grandpa.

Mr. Bebout said...

The kind words you wrote speak to the impact your "Papa" had on your life n the short time he was with you.
I know it is not a great comfort now, but in time those memories will become even sharper and more dear to you and you will recall less and less his years of illness.
My dad died when I was 15 after nearly 8 years of suffering with a similar illness and the only thing I recall with great clarity are the times we spent together before he was sick and they always make me happy.

Tam said...

Thank you so much to everyone. We laid him to rest today. Surprisingly, it was even MORE emotional than I thought it would be. It was a really beautiful thing to see my family all come together for my Grandma, especially my Dad and uncles. I'm so fortunate to have known him.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.