Thursday, April 05, 2007

Mrs. Trapini

One of the best teachers I ever had was my first grade teacher, Mrs. Trapini. I had mentioned my Grandma Haskell's death a few posts ago. The weekend after it happened, I went back to school confused and lonely and hadn't really spoken much since I was told. I got to school and my best friend at the time made some shitty remark about how crappy I looked (because I was sad, not because I was wearing my Garfield nightgown to school again) and I snapped. My pigtails flipping back and forth, "Shut up! I don't want to talk to you ever again!" Then I started crying in a corner.

She ran to our teacher. "Something's wrong with Tammy!" Fucking tattletale.

Mrs. Trapini came over to me immediately. She wasn't the smallest woman but I had never known her to raise her voice once. She always wore jumpers and flats and her dark hair was never longer than her ears. We had two first grade teachers and I remember how jealous the other students were that they didn't have her for a teacher. She did fun things such as when she'd turn out the lights and we'd shine flashlights while we played musical chairs. She'd bring in pets. She even took us outside on the lawn when it was nice out to do our math work. But that day that I came in and had my first (of many) mental breakdowns, she did the best thing she'd ever done.

I explained to her what had happened, how I didn't know if my Grandma Haskell was coming back and didn't understand why she hadn't said goodbye. She gave me the greatest hug, back when teachers could touch their students without question. Then, like a rock star, she called down to the library on the in-room phone for a book. She gathered the class in a circle and threw out the curriculum for that morning. When I went to sit down, she told me my seat was on her lap. A helper from the library came in and delivered a book to Mrs. Trapini. And she sat down, I perched on her lap like a princess, my classmates looking on in wonder and she started the story.

It was about a little boy that loved his puppy more than anything in the world. The little boy didn't think he'd ever be without his little dog. And then the dog was hit by a car (or something else had caused it's death) and how sad the boy felt and that it was okay. The story went on to explain how the little puppy would always be with the little boy, even if the puppy wasn't alive anymore.

I don't remember much about my childhood. But I remember that day like it just happened last week. It meant so much to me that she took the time out of our day to explain to me what death really meant when no one else would. I wasn't scared anymore. I didn't cry the rest of the day. And my friend and I played at recess.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That story is so neat, it almost doesn't sound true. That's a stand-up teacher. I wish I'd had those as a kid. I never really did.

It's amazing how one little thing someone does can be with you the rest of your life. What a great feeling.

Anonymous said...

Well. That brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful memory of a dear teacher.

Anonymous said...

What a nice teacher. It's nice to see teachers that don't just stop where a textbook stops.

Kristen said...

Seriously sad and wonderful story.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should apologize for not explaining the death of Grandma Haskell to you, but even at the tender age of 13, it wasn't explained to us, we just took from it what we did. All we knew is that we had lost someone more dear to us than even our parents. Remember when you threw up Kool-Aid at her house? I remember her playing Greensleeves on the piano for us before we would go to sleep. And Stephen was always bad, even at her house. "That's why he always got his ass beat"

You made the "ICE QUEEN" shed a tear this evening. *Sniff*

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.