Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Badly Drawn Cake


Wedding plans are still under way and it's only 144 days away. This is my extent of computer drafting. Those antennas at the top are wine glasses and the droppings are grapes. I recently went to a wedding expo where I won not only 75 mini bottles of champagne with free labels but a gift certificate for $75 off a cake at one of the more expensive bakeries in Erie. This cake (or a much better version) would be my ultimate cake, that high and those colors. But there are so many things to think about. Will the grapes look like raisins by the end of the night in the August heat? Will the colors be TOO matchy matchy with everything else? Will that merlot hue ever come out of my wedding dress when Matt smashes it all over my face? I will more than likely go with something like this (those grapes are sugared) with only two tiers. One we will cut from and serve to the bridal party, the other tier we'll save for our first anniversary. And all the other guests will get a piece of the sheet cake we'll have in the back, because I am that cheap...and poor.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Dude, I can almost see a face on that draft, and it's cute. Haha.

Sounds like a good idea you have going there for your cake. Jon and I kept ours fairly simple and cheap: Giant Eagle. Hey, what the hell... :)

Tam said...

After Payton (the oldest I nanny) had 4 helpings of the free cake Shurfine in North East passed out at the wedding expo, we thought they'd be a safe bet for the sheet cakes.

Jenson said...

That's cool...

Do you know your RSS feed so I can subscribe to your page? I don't see it on the page... hmmm
~Jenson

Tam said...

RSSVP wha? Oh Jen. You're too funny. I couldn't even load pictures in HTML until two days ago. I guess I could ask my brother.

Anonymous said...

Where did you decide to have the reception, Tammy? I remember you asked abot the Waterfall and some other places a while ago - I'm just being nosey! Good luck - and the sheet cake idea is great. You'll actually be lucky if you even remember TASTING your cake (and you'll vaguely remember what you had to eat......you'll have to look back at some pictures of the night to REALLY remember!).

Amy

Tam said...

We've decided on the wedding and reception to take place at The Heritage Winery. It should be a great time.

Anonymous said...

No one EVER remembers or cares what the cake tastes like. I can't ever remember saying "wow, that cake was awesome! I want some more!" If I even bothered to eat it before slogging another cranberry and vodka and getting back on the dance floor.

The candied grapes are pretty though.

Anonymous said...

You will love it! A couple that we know from Virginia did the same thing and it was wonderful - and very intimate. I've heard alot of good reviews from people who have planned weddings (and receptions) at wineries.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.