Monday, February 12, 2007

I Just Want Some Toilet Paper

When I am out in public, I ignore everyone. I'm not sure why this is. I look straight ahead while walking in the mall and you can yell and wave and pop balloons in my face but I don't seem to notice. I've been called on my phone more than a few times because I wasn't paying attention to any other drivers on the road (besides 4 ways and the like). Someone I knew drove past me or was driving behind me, honking and waving and wondering why I was such a bitch, ignoring them.

This happens all the time, especially in stores and restaurants. For some reason, I just refuse to believe I'll bump into anyone I know. My co-workers are all under the age of 11, my life consists of traveling two and from only two homes and a grocery store and I just don't see/know/converse with many people. I'll have people come up to me at my table in a diner with all of 6 booths and wonder why I hadn't noticed them sitting there for the length of my entire meal.

So, yesterday things were strange. I'm not sure if I made more eye contact yesterday or if I was hopped up on a coffee/chai mix, but it felt like everyone was looking at me. I couldn't tell if they were "what the fuck is wrong with your hair?" kind of looks or "Don't I know you?" kind of looks but there seemed to be a lot of people making eye contact with me whenever I looked up. I was wearing something just alright. I wasn't being loud and I didn't have a big box of Depends in my cart. But it just seemed as if people were noticing, even staring at, me. I even went into the bathroom at Target to see if I had something on my face. Have you ever had this feeling?

I don't know if I could be famous like Tom Cruise or Kristen, Blog Celebrity. It was such an unsettling thing. I don't like to be stared at. It's one of my pet peeves. If I was 15 years younger, I would have retaliated with the very eloquent "STARE, STARE STARE". Maybe this is why I choose to look straight ahead or focus on just what I need to focus on. Maybe it's easier to ignore the curious, the nosey, the perverted.

I'll get up on the karaoke stage as many times as I can, but stop looking at me when I'm picking out toilet paper!

13 comments:

MrsTito said...

By chance, did you have Britian with you? A lot of people stare at me when I'm with Emily. I'm sure they are trying to remember which milk jug they saw her picture on because there is no way a baby that cute could be mine. I'm just saying, that could be it.

Or their envious of your hair. I am.

Tam said...

My hair was in a ponytail, unbrushed. Doubt it.

And no, I pawned my daughter off on my parents yesterday.

Rachel said...

Does this bother you?
I'm not touching you...

Tam said...

Ahhhh!! You're evil!!

Stephanie said...

I think I wrote this exact entry. I know what it is: you are an Erie Blogebrity! They're reading & recognizing and you are one of the glitterati of the Erie Blogosphere. I guarantee.

Or it's this photo you have accompanying your entry. Eitehr way.

Anonymous said...

I think it's because you were naked & wearing a Canadian flag.

Jillian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jillian said...

NEWS FLASH! People have been staring at you FOREVER!
My remedy is: Maybe you shouldn't eat sandwiches that resemble the vagina!

ps. blogger is a bitch!

Tam said...

Not only did I eat it, I ate the whole McThing!

I was so afraid to upgrade, but now that I have it's really alright. Blogger isn't that bad.

And kudos to Flickr who gives you a program to download all your photos, all at once. Much better than the old way of 6 individual photos at a time. SNORE

Kristen said...

I always think people are staring at me. Plus I constantly get the whole "Don't I know you" bit. Probably they all want to sleep with me...

Jillian said...

kristen- Didn't i see you at Wegmans yesterday?

tam- The deleted comment is mine...Why? Because blogger is a bitch! yer site is a whore laddy!

ron said...

if you take carmen's advice and walk around naked with a canadian flag, can i be the one to photograph it?

Tam said...

It might have sounded strange to you since I took down the original picture that was up of me in a Canadian Flag and nothing else. You snooze, you lose.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.