Tuesday, May 16, 2006

When I Was Just A Little Girl

Today is my 28th birthday. Over the weekend, I went out with my family (and close friends who were given minutes notice) to the Fox N Hound. It was a pretty good time, and we didn't pay 125 bucks like the group who blocked off half the room. For some reason their party only went until 10:30 while mine went well over midnight. Britain came for an hour of so and then my boss was nice enough to watch her (sleep in her carseat). I was garnished with beautiful, thoughtful gifts and cards while I felt very loved.

Matt's father (holding his hands over his ears) had heard enough from Matt's mother (in black).





Best friends Tam, Mary and Jillian

Matt and his father.

No introduction necessary.









My cousin Mike with my best friends and I.


Tam, Mary, Kevin and Jillian








So, today is my ACTUAL celebration, if you call laundry, vacuuming and barely being able to brush my teeth let alone shower a celebration. No matter. The worst thing about today is on previous birthdays, I can remember wearing brand new sun dresses, shorts, tank tops, sandals, bathing suits. I remember my 13th birthday party at the beach. I remember skinny dipping for my 15th. I remember camping out under the stars for my 17th. And here I am ten years later in a sweatshirt, jeans and winter socks. ITS 52 DEGREES! Can someone explain Global Warming to me please because I'm just not understanding the definition this year?

Celebrities who share my birthday: (these links aren't fun...don't bother clicking on them)

Henry Fonda born on May 16, 1905
Pierce Brosnan born on May 16, 1953
Mare Winningham born on May 16, 1959
Rosie Perez born on May 16, 1963
Janet Jackson born on May 16, 1966
Scott Reeves born on May 16, 1966
David Boreanaz born on May 16, 1971
Tori Spelling born on May 16, 1973
Melanie Lynskey born on May 16, 1977


For a long time, my birthday was a horrible reminder of my failed relationship with my ex. There was an incident on my actual birthday that started the crumbling of my already failing marriage. But now, I can look back on that year as a true birth for me. I was born into the woman I was supposed to be. And now, I'm much stronger, happier and healthier for it.

So, today I DO celebrate. Thanks Mom and Dad for having the sex like rabbits in the Fall of '77 and for reminding me every year that I was conceived in the back of a station wagon. Damn, life is good.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy birthday! If only I'd known on Thursday, I could've bought you a tasteless card and a duck of some kind.

Jenson said...

Hahaha. I have a duck suggestion :)

Gina Ventre said...

Happy Birthday Tam! I'm looking forward to pictures.

Kristen said...

Happy birthday again. Of course I remembered and texted you with love. That's the definition of thoughtful, Eden.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.