Thursday, October 20, 2005

Love Means Never Hitting Someone With A Shovel

My latest adventure in babysitting happened Tuesday. I was making macaroni and cheese (story of my life) and the kids were outside in the front yard raking leaves, well not so much RAKING as SHOVELING leaves because they couldn't find the rake. Soon, I heard a blood curdling scream from Payton: "TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM! TAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM!" I thought for sure someone had been hit by a car, fell out of the tree, broke a nail...something horrible. I ran outside and Payton seemed to be ok, just very distraught. I soon figured out the problem when Julia (the 5 year old OTHER little girl I nanny) was coming at me with blood gushing down her face. It was like a scene out of a horror film (those really big budget ones with those up and coming actors from the WB). I realized that head wounds gush and tried to remain calm. Apparently, Payton hadn't seen Julia was behind her and whacked her with the shovel, all The Shining-like. After trying to stay calm, keeping everyone else calm and putting enough pressure on her head to finally stop the bleeding, I assessed the situation and could see that Julia wouldn't need more than one stitch, if that. I obtained a medical degree since I've posted last. I called her mother right away and told her she'd be alright,but she might want to come pick up her daughter who only wanted her mother. I understand how Superman feels.

Julia before the attack.

I called that night at 10pm and Erin, her mother said she was doing fine...they had tried waking her up but she was in such a beautiful deep sleep that they didn't have the heart to wake her. Concussions will do that.

12 comments:

Tam said...

Carmen, while laughing: "I didnt think it was loaded"

Mo-Pie said...

Poor Julie... maybe she could get a part in the new horror flick, "When Shovels Attack".

If she ever wakes up that is.

Poor Julie.

Kristen said...

She was too pretty for her own good anyways.

The worst Ray's done to me is spit water in my face everytime we were out to a restaurant between March and June of 2001 and punch me in the face while I was sleeping.

Tam said...

Mike, Juli-A will be ok. Julie? Im not so sure. Have you seen When Butterflies Attack? Ask Kristen.

Kristen, Brit actually slapped Matt accross the forehead a few mornings ago (the sound actually woke me up it was that hard)...I mean NO she wasn't sleeping in our bed!

Ron said...

I knew you beat the kids. I didn't know that you outsourced the beatings to save money.

Sizzle said...

concussions will do that! ha ha. i do hope she wakes up. . .

;) sizz

Mr. Bebout said...

Which brings me back to the horros of day care. And you seem to like these kids too, and seem lees than likely to touch them in the bad way. I need to win to the lotto so I can stay home and look at my kid all day.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think those are my kids and you never said anything about a shovel...........

Tam said...

Shit now Im fired. Dooce!

Michelle said...

You forgot the best part! Payton was up in her bedroom with her rosary beads praying that Julia would be okay...and see, it worked! I'm gonna go get mine and pray for Tam.

Tam said...

It IS true. Just a few years ago, Julia also had a run in with the toy box under my supervision..."supervision". She WAS rushed off at that time and had her pinky toe sewed on quite nicely. That was a bit more terrifying.

Jo (that British nanny lady who likes to put kids on "the naughty stool") has nothing on THIS super nanny.

Christie said...

I can hear the Jo Frost theme song now. Only, it's very hard to write out.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.