Sunday, October 09, 2005

Ghost Busted


I believe in 4 things that no one has been able, in my opinion, to PROVE to be true: evolution vs. Adam & Eve, Gypsy runs through my veins, karma, and ghosts.

When we bought this house, we were left:
*a few odds and ends in the garage
*an entertainment center that, unless you took it apart, wouldn't fit through the dormer bedroom upstairs so there it stayed
*and a pool table almost as old as I am...definitely older than Matt.


The people that lived here before us lived here for 20 years. In fact, the reason they moved was because HE was building HER a new house for their 20th wedding anniversary. Their first big purchase was the pool table, that sits down in the basement. Its not in too bad of shape and I liked the fact that it had character. They didn't feel like taking it apart if we wanted it because they said they were just going to throw it out anyway.

But it didn't take more than a few weeks for me to question why they might have REALLY left it. One night, I was washing dishes in the sink and Matt was home as well. The door to the basement is in the kitchen and I could hear Matt playing pool downstairs, just messing around. After washing up the last dish, I went to throw away the gunk that was left in the sink trap into the garbage can, which sits by the basement door. I noticed the light in the basement wasn't on. I wondered how Matt could have come up without me noticing. Although, sometimes when I clean, I get in my own little world. Still, I did think it was peculiar that he didn't even stop by and give me a swat on the butt or a kiss on some other body part. I thought nothing else of it until a few months later.

Matt started working 2nd shift shortly after we got pregnant. I was home alone for an hour or so at night until my brother, JR (living with us at the time) would get home from work as well. I started to make myself some dinner one evening and heard the pool balls hitting each other again. I thought perhaps JR could be home early and I hadn't noticed his car. As I turned the corner for the basement door, I realized AGAIN that the light was not on. I quickly switched it on and investigated, but nothing. I thought for a moment that our younger, more frisky kitty Simon could have been knocking around the balls but the pool table was exactly as we had left it, pool balls in pockets and all cue sticks in their place. I chalked it up to pregnancy brain and superstition, so I kept it to myself when JR came home.


Since that night, I've heard that same sound a handful more times and waited at least 3 or 4 instances to tell Matt. Although he hadn't heard it at the time I told him, he DID hear it one evening when we both were home. It was AGAIN a time where I thought he was in the basement. We both were a little freaked out, but still didn't tell anyone else.

I haven't heard it lately, but I have to wonder if the couple who lived here ever had a similar experience. The woman came around only a few more times (dropping off extra keys, grabbing stray letters and packages, etc) and then didn't call or come back after that, even though she DID still have something for us (a microwave part that was being repaired and she was picking up).

Did they leave the pool table for a reason?

Has anyone ELSE had an encounter with a ghost or spirit?

I DO have some other stories as well but don't want to put all my balls in one pocket HA!HA! ha (clears throat) I will say, these strange occurrences that have happened to me just solidify my belief that my mother, who is adopted, came from a group of traveling gypsies. That wasn't sarcasm, Kristen. I DO believe this. My mother, sister Michelle and possibly my sister Theresa (as well as myself) all have "the gift". I'll save the strange happenings that each of us have experienced for another blog entry closer to Halloween.

But what to do with the pool ball shenanigans? Perhaps some poor ghost might have lost big time at a pool game and he's still pissed about it. He's trying to get something through to me. And he just keeps practicing and practicing and practicing and....

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Well I remember you experiencing things or seeing or hearing things when we lived together (you know - the best time of your life) and sometimes I saw or heard it too but I think it was exciting/scary because you're good at creeping someone out because you really hear or see or feel whatever it is and that makes the other person feel lovely and shivery.

Stephanie said...

We lived in a haunted house on the lake in Millcreek. We didn't say anything to each other until we were out for First Night and it came up. We'd both been hearing sourceless music and seeing things out of the corners of our eyes. When we were moving out, stuff started disappearing (he'd set down a hamer on the table, he'd reach for it, it would be on the mantel, etc.) and water appeared in big puddles on teh floor. We were only the second tenants after people who'd lived there 20+ years as well.

Mo-Pie said...

I used to think that there was a boogieman under my bed... but then I realized that it was just my Aunt Myrtle.

Well, I really can't think of a time where I had experienced a ghostly phenom... but my sister's both have. I can't remember the whole story, but it had something to do with light's flickering on and off.

Very cool tale btw, I can't wait to hear more about these happening's. Take more pictures of this table in the dark and in the light. Maybe we can see if you capture a spirit! I want to see them too.

Stacy Cane said...

It always creeps me out when in the middle of the night I suddenly realize that someone is playing with my balls, and I don't even HAVE a pool table.

creepy.

Tam said...

Kristen- I'm good at creeping someone out? um, thanks?

E- Wow, that is so much creepier and I'm jealous.

Mo- I'm glad you've resolved your issues with your Aunt Myrtle through years and years of therapy and think you might enjoy a few conversations with Audient...see below. Just keep repeating "Its not my fault."

Shannon- Everytime I watch that Ghost Hunters show, I feel bad for both parties because the ghosts never seem to cooperate for anyone. The team looks like an ass for believing and the owners/people who called look like liars. I wouldn't call unless I saw a lot more action....You know what I mean!!!

Audi- Matt feels the same way. He usually rolls over to the other side with a "mmmrr!" (little annoyed, angry groan). You'd think the boy would prefer sex over sleep but...

Kristen said...

Dude, have you ever watched that haunted hosue show on TLC or Discovery or whatever? Ray and I watched it the other day and they literally just grab each other and scream and pretend they've been touched by somehting. Or they show you a piece of lint falling off a mirror and say its the spirit leaving the room. Its so lame. Are we going to go to a haunted house this year?

Kristen said...

Although its fun to do their british accents in the tub and move the shower curtain and pretend it was a ghost. I forgot to mention that part.

Sizzle said...

dwoooh ghosts! i believe in that stuff. it freaks me out but i still love hearing about it. unless, i am home alone. then, please don't tell me or i won't be able to sleep.

how awesome if you do have *the gift* (which i also totally believe in).

thanks for visiting my blog.

:) sizz

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.