Thursday, February 26, 2009

Normal Is Boring


I realize by now this is old news but when you live in the back, you tend to hear things much later than other people.


I saw THIS on the Today show this morning. I can't believe how much rage and disgust I felt. I was screaming at Matt Lauer. I even teared up a little. I am still naive to the fact that even in this day and age, there are still so many assholes out there that believe if someone is a little different that they are obviously not allowed to be seen or heard and should go back to the sewer pipe they grew up in.


I have always been the kind of person that gravitates towards interesting and, for lack of a better word, abnormal people. Because growing up, I was taught that normal is boring. If you can't stand out then don't bother standing up at all. The differences in people make this world worth living in and accepting the nuances keep it interesting.


Now that that's been said, raising Britain with that knowledge is probably right up their with making sure she brushed her back teeth. (I've become a brushing Nazi, btw.) I would be mortified if Britain ever made fun of someone just because they didn't have an arm, had a lazy eye or they weren't wearing the latest shoes. So from where do you think this fear of differences in these children come? These parents, in my professional Have-Worked-With-Children-For-Over-12-Years opinion, are either making this shit up or have instilled this fear in their children. NIGHTMARES? Seriously? Well what the hell did you say to them, dumbass?


A normal reaction to that kind of question from a child should be very matter of factly, very shortly described and to the point. Kids usually just want to know why something is the way it is.


"Mom, why do the leaves fall off the tree?"


"Dad, why do you stand up when you pee in the potty?"


"Papa, why do you and Nana sleep in different beds?"


"Hey! What happened to your arm?"


And all of these questions are asked in the same exact way: without fear, without worry, just honesty, confusion and curiosity.


So 'rents, before you start spewing all your prejudice and slurs on your kids, break the damn cycle and tell it like it is. Then educate your damn self on what discrination really is and how much of it you probably do every day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this enrages me even more than hearing from a childhood friend that his parents never allowed him to watch the Cosby show because it showed a "nigger family." Gah, why are people so stupid...

Anonymous said...

I cannot fathom how parents would NOT want their children to develop sensitivity to disabled folks and work on being able to interact with them just like other folks. There are folks with all sorts of differences out there, and trying to "shield" children from the spectrum of humanity just means that they are being set up for awkward stuff later on. I think that a simple matter-of-fact explanation and then moving on is the best that a parent can do.

One of my friends (whom I have known for 20 years or so) has prosthetic eyes as a result of having had retinal blastoma when she was a toddler. It is a very good experience to realize that while folks may be different in some ways (true for all of us!) we also share a lot in common.

Parents should realize that having someone that their child sees on TV with some differences is a great opportunity to help them rise above being afraid or weirded out by superficial differences.

Anonymous said...

I found it odd that the director of the American advocacy group thinks this wouldn't happen in the U.S. Really?? She thinks that there aren't close-minded idiots in 'merica?

Thanks for posting this, Tam.

Kristen said...

I seriously didn't even notice that ladies arm until I stared at it for a while. I couldn't fathom what those two smiling people were telling their kids to get you so up in arms (pardon the pun). While I agree that diversity should be embraced, I think being different for differents sake is as short sighted as trying to fit in. I think there is a time and place for both.

As long as a child is taught that who they are is special and beautiful, even if that is the cheerleader or the class nerd, it's cool. I mean nothing enrages me more than a flock of kids with shaved heads or piercings or tats- because to me they are the antithesis of what they are trying to be. They think they are "different" but they're just fitting in to a different sterotype like the girls with LV bags and apple bottom jeans are.

It's not about being unique or different - it's about being comfortbale being you. At least that's what I think.

Lora said...

This infuriated me! I WANT my child to see that. What is wrong with people?

Also, I'm a big fan of the hot toddie! Good old Erie medicine never does me wrong. We even got them as kids when we were sick!

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.