Thursday, October 04, 2007

An Apron And Nothing Else

I didn't really start cooking until after I met Matt. I think the main reason was that I was scared I couldn't do it. I'm not saying my meals were perfection right out of the gate, but I did figure out I wasn't half as bad as I thought after only a few tries. Cooking for me is not enjoyable every day. I think it's tedious, boring and ridiculous that I don't have a prep cook. I'm happier making dinner 5 out of 7 nights a week or less. But I have come to appreciate the art of food more. And I love to try different takes on a recipe to suit to my own taste. One thing you could complain about my cooking is that it is usually bland, in that I don't use a lot of butter or other fatty ingredients. But I am embracing cooked onions, Italian dressing (low fat) and soy sauce for different flavors. I do feel bad for Matt sometimes, but overall at least we aren't eating out the way we used to.

Four Of My Favorite Foods

Salad

I think a great salad can be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Sometimes, a salad can fill me up through the entire next meal. I love vegetable in general, but when they are all hanging out on a bed of romaine, it's even more delicious. In restaurants, they seem to have only low fat or full fat dressing, so normally I go for a naked salad. One of the best additives I put in my salad are sunflower seeds or pine nuts. I could eat salad everyday as long as I had some variety for ingredients.

Bread

I love all types of bread. In fact, I can't think of a bread that I don't like. If I had to give up bread or Diet Coke, the Coke would have to go. I have been known to eat plain bread if someone was serving something I didn't like. When I was little, I had an addiction to plain bread and I was told not to eat it anymore that day. Of course, this was impossible for me and I was whacked on the ass for it later. The best part of my sub is the bread. I've taken home the free rolls they give you on your table. I would rather eat pizza crust that the slice itself. And Dr. Atkins can kiss my plain white ass.

Chicken

I love chicken because it's easy to cook, it's not red meat, and it goes well with so many dishes. It's pretty likely that I can tell you who has good chicken and who doesn't, whether in a restaurant or grocery store. When Giant Eagle has a BOGO free sale on boneless chicken breast, I usually come out of there with 8 to 10 packages. Sometimes I go back later in the week before the sale is over. About 80% of my dishes have chicken in them, so again I feel bad for Matt since he is a steak kind of guy.

Pasta

Like chicken, it goes with so many things. You can bake it, boil it, refry it, smother it, under cook it and eat it cold. You can't go wrong with pasta. Personally, I hate my noodles broken and the sound it makes when it's curling around your fork (like the sound they make when zombies are eating brains in horror movies), but there are really no other drawbacks to pasta. I do have a problem with serving size with this food, but with whole wheat it's not so bad.

Chocolate

Since pasta and bread are basically the same thing, I thought I'd add a fifth food that could not be left out of my favorites. I think chocolate is equally from heaven and hell. If you gave me a bug covered in chocolate, I would eat it. Actually, what could you possibly add chocolate to and make worse? I rest my case.

5 comments:

MrsTito said...

Milk. No amount of chocolate could EVER make me drink a glass of milk.

Tam said...

Interesting since chocolate actually makes me crave milk.

Kristen said...

I really pity people who don't love milk and eggs as much as I do.

Rachel said...

Chocolate blows.
Let's see how many hate comments/e-mails I get from this.

Anonymous said...

I think people who don't like chocolate are missing some vital piece of DNA.

I'm right there with you on the bread thing Tam. I think I would have to add brownies to the list somewhere. They stand alone, and I could give up a lot of other chocolate things if I could have some brownies. Dammit, now I'm hungry.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.