Wednesday, May 02, 2007

This Was Way Over 45 Minutes

For those of you that have stopped doing something, something you've been doing for awhile, you may realize how hard "cold turkey" really is. Now picture cutting 30 things "cold turkey" all on the same day for 30 days. This has been much harder than I thought it would ever be. But I've stuck to them (most of them).

It's difficult to keep up with these posts because my ninth vice is too much time spent on the computer. You may have noticed I haven't been commenting much on your blogs. You may have noticed less traffic in general from me. That is because being on the computer has turned into a nasty habit of mine that keeps me sitting more than standing, or doing laundry, or cooking dinner, or taking a walk, or spending time with my family, or eating a balanced meal. Between that vice and my tenth vice which is too much time spent watching television, I have become quite the lazy hypocrite. That is why I have limited myself to 30-45 minutes of computer time and 30 to 60 minutes of TV time (movies are an exception) every day. I've sort of stuck to these. I'm sure it's possible, but I've been a bit lenient with it.

On to my eleventh vice, which somehow I actually have stuck to this entire time: too much soda. I have not had any carbonated drink (besides seltzer water) since April 15. This also coincides with my twelfth vice: not drinking anywhere near the amount of water I'm supposed to drink. I have tried to get in 3 out of th 4 bottles of water a day one should drink. I'm hoping it's helped to cleanse my body from all the crap I've been putting into it the past couple of months. And finally my thirteenth vice also associated with liquid : alcohol consumption. Like soda, I haven't had any alcohol since I've started either. Most people think I'm pregnant when everyone else is ordering mixed drinks and I ask for water or iced tea, which is great for my self esteem, as you can imagine.

My fourteenth vice has been hard and I've barely stuck to it at all: eating out. This has been really difficult because I do it so often. I can't say I've even been attempting to stop this vice. I've been horrible and I accept it. When I'm on my way home from work at 6 o'clock at night and I haven't even STARTED anything for dinner, it's so much easier just to get home and ask Matt where we should go to stuff our face.

Some of my other vices (number 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19) are just silly, not-even-worth-mentioning vices that I won't, in fact, mention.

But realize, I have been following through (or at least trying to follow through) on all of these vices...all 30 of them...until May 15. Because May 16th is my birthday, and really 30 days is LONG ENOUGH for this chick who usually doesn't limit much for herself. 30 vices in 30 days does not mean I have to post every day (I already did that 30 in 30). It means I have to better myself of 30 harmful things for 30 days. So, no more complaints.

If you're that bored, write your own post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep it up tam! only 13 more days to go. it was quite a lofty goal to begin with and by making it this far says a lot.

Rachel said...

I hope ron doesn't tempt you too much with the variety of colas he's bringing over tonight. I'll make sure they stay out of your sight, Tam. Actually, I should really take it easy on the sodas too. I've been doing pretty good with drinking more water and OJ and less pop. It's definitely healthier.

Ron said...

If you don't want to be on the computer too much, I'll take that shit off your hands. That'd make a kick ass server.

(I should know, I built it!)

Anonymous said...

I have repeatedly tried the no "pop" thing. (your crazy PA people & your "soda"!) I will be fine until I forget & have a Coke. I love Coke to the point I would like to wear a beer hat with cans of Coke attached to my head. I will have one sip & then I start drinking it like there's no tomorrow. And you know what? Maybe there's not -I'm going to have a Coke right now.

But good for you!

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.