Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I'm Gonna Make It Afterall

It's really rainy and really cold and it hasn't let up all day. But you know what? I'm not letting it bring me down. Maybe it's the low fat vanilla cappuccino I had or the sassy new umbrella my sisters bought for me that I got to use, but I'm in a pretty great mood.

Sometimes, holding that umbrella, walking from store to store, I think I should have grown up in a big city somewhere. And not unlike Mary Tyler Moore, I should be wearing a trench coat, spinning on the sidewalk. I think if I hadn't screwed up my Junior and Senior year, I could have been a big shot (or medium shot) at a magazine or ad agency.

But this gets into the last post about my negative thinking vice. I realize what and who I am now all has to do with what I once was, good or bad. I'd probably be a very different person and who knows if I'd even like what I might have become. This feels like one of those "thinking out loud posts" which people usually just skim over.

So on to my seventh vice: Bad grooming. I think most new moms fall into this bad habit. I am by no means a prim and proper kind of lady. I can fit all the makeup I have in a bag smaller than my hand. I wear jewelry only on occasion. My legs would probably scratch you. I own three lipsticks. And my eyebrows haven't been done in months. MONTHS! I'm not really the most girly girl.

But I've been paying attention to myself more. There is nothing wrong with exfoliation, or taking makeup off BEFORE you go to bed, or a little blush. I'm not going to say I have more dress pants than jeans but I have started to dress and even feel a bit differently these past few weeks. Call it my own What Not To Wear or Mommy Makeover, but I'm actually starting to take pride in my twenty something, post baby body. It's a slow process, but I think I'm finally stepping out of the Junior's section and becoming a Misses.

They need to make a show called 10 Years OLDER.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

10 Years Older. Love it.

Ron said...

Just make yourself a promise that you won't wear sweatpants with holes in them and your husband's shirt with no bra out in public, or just pick up and wear your child's shirt with an Internet catchphrase you don't even understand.

I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about :)

Tam said...

Aww yea!

Anonymous said...

But I LIKED the hot pink "tighter than they needed to be" sweats! And wearing her kid's shirt, too small also, accentuated the no bra-wearing chest. Awww...good stuff!

Rachel said...

I'm horrible with grooming and making myself look done-up. I throw on some eyeliner, blow-dry and straighten my hair, and I'm good to go for the day. I fall back on the eyebrows thing. I'm just too lazy to keep up with it constantly.

Look on the bright side, Tam: At least you don't look like Sloth.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.