Tuesday, March 27, 2007

For Keep's Sake

I used to save EVERYTHING. I used to have something called a keepsake box in which I'd put notes from my friends, cards from my grandparents, pictures, stuff I'd find in the woods. I'm sure you're picturing a tiny shoebox with Keds on the side but I actually had a microwave box and a tv box, both full.

I don't have them anymore. It's not because I didn't want to hold on to my childhood or decided one day to spring clean. I lost them in what I call "the fire" in which there was not a fire at all but a fast packing because we were moving (kicked) out of our house.

There were some really great things in there, things I would have liked to show Britain. All my yearbooks were in there before 9th grade. There were baby pictures, silly drawings and stories I wrote. I had a few full diaries in there too. After this happened, I kind of stopped saving such things. It may have even broken my spirit about keepsakes and such.

But you know I have all of Britain's crap from the moment we found out we were having her including sonograms, first curl and a journal I kept when I was pregnant. She seems to get pissed whenever I want to get rid of her old toys. Maybe she has the pack rat gene as well.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I don't really have a keepsake box or anything, but I have collections of things all over the place. My parents have all the locks of hair, report cards, elementary pictures, etc. at their house.

If I feel compelled to look at that stuff, I'll just go over there. They can house it.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.