Monday, December 18, 2006

Inside Family Jokes

We had our annual "sibling party" over the weekend. It was at my brother Jr's house. Everything turned out alright including my homeade macaroni and cheese with tomato (yum) but for some odd reason, I haven't felt very in the spirit. Maybe I just don't think Christmas is what it used to be. Maybe I still remember my Papa's passing so vividly. But this year, I just can't wait for it to be over.

I realize, most of this poem you all might not get. But it may be funny for some.


Twas the week before Christmas
And all through the fam
Underlying issues were present
Including, of course, Tam's










The stockings were hung
To avert from the quibbling
But what's a sibling party
Without EVERY sibling?






MaMa (and her stained shirt)
And Pa were quite distant
But it surprised not a one
'Cause it happens each Christmas










The children were either crying
Or guessing Aunt's names
'Cause, it's rare we see each other
Though the same blood's through our veins










After setting the timer
I flew like a dash
To pose for the camera
Before the damn flash







The heat from the people
Filling the room at Jr's place
Gave a luster of dampness
To Tam's sweaty face






When what to my wandering eyes should permit
But a miniature Brit in a cheesy santa outfit











With a son and a father
who used to fight constant
talking hunting and fishing
though there's still some resentment






Now Theresa, Now Michael
Now Stephen, Now Tam
Let's all pool together
For a mortgage payment plan










A wink of his eye
And a twist of his head
Still I couldn't forget
All the mean things we've said










And I heard Jr exclaim
as I drove out of sight
"Merry Christmas, Bitch!"
And it felt just alright.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Bittersweet.

I HATE that pic of me!

I'm glad I wasn't there.

I don't want the gift that a certain sis-in-law left for me.

I miss my Britain Candy. She should wear a Mrs. Claus suit every day!

Tam said...

Matt was disgusted. He said he's going to make sure Britain knows he had nothing to do with it.

Ron said...

I know why you didn't want to come Michelle. You can try to hide it, try to fight it, but eventually you'll just have to admit that my friggin' cheesy taco dip was DA BOMB.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of reaction Mom and Dad get with their gift....

Ron said...

And is Don giving The Shocker in the group pic? HA!

Kristen said...

I love the santa outfit. And you're making me feel better about my dads side family party I'm dragging Ray to this year.

Anonymous said...

From an outsider point of view, that was hilarious! And truly, it pretty much follows my mom's family to a tee. I should steal the poem and send it to all my uncles.

Anonymous said...

Brit looks a lot like Cindy Lou Who. Just sayin'.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.