Monday, April 24, 2006

EmoGrrl27

So I, loser with no alternate plans, had to work over the weekend. I brought Britain with me because Matt went out for the first time in 3 years. The girls were awesome and actually went to bed with NO hassles. So, after Brit went to sleep herself, I was left to my own devices. I'm not really sure how many of you actually watch live TV on Saturday nights, but it blows. Even with HBO, it blows. So there I was stuck watching Celebrity Cooking Showdown on NBC. Unfortunately (SDC) I had missed the first few shows and only caught the finale...And got to see who was crowned "master of the kitchen". Um, the choices were Miss America, leather face (Cindy Margolis) and the chick from OTown. So, really why did I continue to watch? This seemed to be the theme of the night: "Why am I still watching this?" After that, it was Law And Order (enter sound effect here). The first five minutes kept me intrigued because Elizabeth Berkley was a special guest (When I wake up in the morning, my alarm...) and Annabella Sciorra looked as if she just celebrated her 90th birthday. And by the way... So, the story is pretty bad and yet, its 45 minutes into the show and I haven't even moved. Finally, after realizing I'm watching the news and becoming current on events (the horror!) I switch over to WB because in fifteen minutes, there was to be two really great half hours of Yes Dear, or something equally as shitty. I just had to get through the last half of the "to be announced" show, which I assumed was either going to be an infomercial or a really long commercial about BAM Easy Off oven cleaner. I was wrong.

It started out with Britain's doppleganger. He had all her features except that this little guy was at least 18 months. He was in a hospital bed so right away, I assumed it was a fundraiser type thing. Just then, St. Jude's number pops up on the screen. His name was Ben. He did cute little things like call giraffe's "jawavs" and told you where his ears were. Then his father starts narrating. "Ben will start hitting his head over and over from the pain and in the middle of all of it, he'll look at you with the biggest smile." Then they went on about how he had a brain tumor and how he was going through chemotherapy because they couldn't use radiation on him because of his age. As if that weren't enough (and I hadn't went through a box of tissues already) they then went back to the father as he said, "Ben is dying. We are just getting in all the time and love we can from him because once the medicine stops working, he'll slip away."

Well, at that point my boss comes home and probably wondered what the hell the girls had put me through that night. It wasn't TOO embarrassing, but I honestly couldn't stop sobbing for a bit. As I was explaining what I was watching, they ended his story with his outcome: his mother was holding him while he passed away and his father, big brother and grandparents were all in the room with him. UGGHHH!

It really made me appreciate how lucky Matt and I are that Britain is healthy and happy and that we'll more than likely see her through many, many events in her life. It made me think of my Grandfather (lately, a lot has) and how he left this world. And it just made me feel unusually gifted in general that I am living the life I am.

And that I got paid.

7 comments:

Ron said...

I've been thinking alot about Papa too. I had to go down Edinboro road yesterday and I stopped at the cemetary, but I couldn't find his marker where I thought it would be. I spent about 45 minutes walking around and still couldn't find it. I was pretty upset.

Kristen said...

Although the ending was sad and bittersweet, thebody of this post had me laughing my ass off. We too attempted about 10 minutes of Celebrity Cookoff but I made Ray turn it because it was too loud. That chick from O-Town was the best and I have a lovelyarticle on SBTBfor you to read.

Jillian said...

You could have called me (fellow working loser)....I find myself perplexed by this post. First I was happy and then sad. Bipolar?

Did you send any money to St. Jude?

Tam said...

No, Ben's already dead.

Rachel said...

"That chick from O'town" gets me everytime I see that...LoL. Ashley Parker Angel will forever be known as that in my mind from now on...thanks to you. LoL.

~Rachel~

Kristen said...

One thing about this post that is bothering me - Matt went out for the first time in 3 years? Come on! Isn't Matt constantly out at concerts and what not? Or don't concerts count because if he's being dorky, it may not.

Tam said...

It wasn't a concert. It was an encore of Showgirls, the unedited version.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.