Monday, March 20, 2006

It Is Like SO My Color!

My sister, Theresa and I went wedding dress shopping for the first time yesterday. I was excited but was really scared that all the sales people would stand so close to us that the oxygen would be removed from my lungs and I would die...So we started at Starbucks. One venti, low fat macchiato later, I was strolling through my favorite store, Charlotte Russe. I found a white strapless dress there for super cheap and thought "What if I only had to spend a tenth of my dress budget?" But alas, strapless looks like shit on me. We were then off to Kaufmann's. All the prom dresses were on sale so we thought I might get lucky and find a white one I liked. There were PLENTY I liked, just not any that fit without starving myself for three weeks or taking out a few ribs. You see, I have what they call a "broad back" and while it makes a great stunt double from the rear for Rocky Balboa, it doesn't do much for sporting a dress from the Junior's section. So at this point I was rethinking the skimping on a REAL wedding dress and decided to head over to Bridal Elegance and face my fear of people working on a commission.

It turned out, there weren't too many people DYING to help us since it was so busy on account of prom season. I think I heard five "I know, right"'s, four "shut up"'s, three "chill"'s, two "Nah Uh"'s and one "that is like, SO your color"'s. I felt like I would be crowned at any moment.

There I was, silly me, shopping in the size 10 section of the wedding dresses. I grabbed three. And on a whim, I grabbed a much bigger size because I loved the way it looked and needed a bigger comparison. Then we had to actually GO GET a sales woman, and it turned out they don't get commission either! I was ecstatic and started to get really excited to try actual wedding dresses on and pissed that I hadn't brought my camera. Theresa and I went back into a dressing room the size of my kitchen and the woman (Melody...so fitting!) helped me into the first size 10. And helped me right back out. Obviously the other two were NOT going to zip, let alone get over my toe. So, while Melody was going to go back out and find some 12's, I thought perhaps I could try on the last, bigger one to compare.

Not only did it fit, but I bought that shit! I can't believe it, even seeing it in print, but I actually have my wedding dress and more importantly...I'm totally on budget.

"NAH UH!"
"I know, right!?"

I wish I could describe it, but I wouldn't want to give anything away to a certain future groom...he can PAY for the dress, he just can't see it until the ceremony. A BIG THANK YOU to Theresa for helping me decide that just because it was the first dress I tried on, didn't mean it wasn't the right one. Just like when I first saw Matt, I didn't think I had a chance in hell, but tried it anyway. And they both worked out perfect.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

You found a dress! Awesome! Is it fairly plain or is it somewhat flashy as far as appliques or whatever go?

Boy, you're further along than a lot of people are a few months before their weddings. :)

~Rachel~

Tam said...

Although I would describe it as less is more as far as detail, I will still LIGHT UP under the lights. I can't say too much on here of course.

Thanks Rach! I'm trying to get a lot done so I'm not as stressed as some brides seem to be.

I'm so glad your bridal shower went off without a hitch. Jon is very lucky...he knows it.

Ron said...

I got one up on ya. I didn't buy my ho her dress at all. I made her DADS PAY FOR IT. BooYAH!

Tam said...

Alright, so I actually paid for it. But he took me to Max and Erma's last night for dinner...he says we're even.

HCG said...

I totally hated dress shopping with homecoming and prom. But, finding that perfect dress was always the best feeling. Congratulations! I bet it's beautiful!

Kristen said...

Kristen's comments are beng withheld in the interest of not saying anything until she sees the dress.

Stephanie said...

Oh yay! Lucky you. My wedding dress was actually a bridesmaid dress off the clearance rack.

Also: wedding dress sizes? Fubar. Go by the fit, not the tag IMO.

Can't wait to see!

Stephanie said...

Oh BTW:

It sparkles under the lights? Someone broke out the Bedazzler!

Ron said...

Bedazzler, Eden? Shah, right! That's SOOOO 90's! Get with it girlfriend, these days we use BLING IT!

You can bling most anything!

Tam said...

You can't BRING IT till you BLING IT!

Tam said...

Well thank you Sharon. Just the neckline will have to come up so I also was very lucky.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.