Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Matt Feels Old

Today is Matt's 25th birthday. He feels old. HUH? I know I LOOK like a girl scout without her uniform, but I'm actually three years older than he and I'll ALWAYS be three years older. So, I'm wondering if A) he thinks I'm ancient and B) what can I do to make him feel younger?


I realize he's already a dad. He became one at 24, only a year after we met. I realize he went straight out of college, graduating early, to accepting his job as a Producer. A year later, he met me. I'm also well aware that shortly after meeting me, he spent 4 out of 7 nights over at my house..4 became 5, 5 became 6 and finally we just decided to start house hunting. I'm well aware he spent his savings on the down payment and a month after we moved in, we found out we were pregnant. Three weeks later, he proposed. Now we are in the process of parenthood, mortgage bills, and wedding plans.


*Tam stops to think

I guess I'd feel old too.

He IS the most mature 25 year old I've met. Ok, so sometimes I have to explain my jokes to him because, yes he is that serious. But it certainly balances out my immaturity...like how I think the word "poop" is still funny, or when I laugh at a homeless man (not every homeless man...just one guy in particular that Matt reprimanded me for later. Hey! Jr did it too!). He's a great father, a wonderful father. I couldn't ask for a better Baby Daddy. And he always has a level head about everything. And he never complains about my cooking or when my legs are hairy or when I leave my water bottles everywhere. There are some looks, but no complaints. And he's so kind and thoughtful. I'll say something one time and he'll surprise me with it months later. Example: He proposed to me in the balcony downtown in Perry Square on Christmas Eve with everything lit up around us. I told him months and months before that I thought it would be beautiful to get married there. I personally don't even remember saying it. He tried out a goatee for me. I'm not a huge fan of goatees or anything, but he had never grown one out and I thought it might be nice for a little change and for him to try something different. He likes to drive the same way to work. He doesn't like something sprung on him at the last minute. Because he likes predictability. That may sounds horrible, but I don't mean it as a character flaw. It was a blessing to my old life where everything was out of control and there was hardly any stability. I moved every few years to a different apartment. I even thought of moving to Portland, OR for a guy I didn't really know. I didn't have any real plans for anything. I once even said I would never own a house because I didn't want to be too tied down to anything. I'm not saying I changed for him. I took a year off from everything and realized I needed to change, at least a few things. And when Matt came in to my life, he tied up all my loose ends.

So, as far as Matt being old: maybe he is. Maybe wise beyond his years, even. But I wouldn't want it any other way.

Happy Birthday, Sweetness! And Happy Valentine's Day, too.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Ok the last pic is the first of Matt with the goatee that he doesn't look like his own evil twin.

And tell Matt to remember that he still has at least 7 years until his first heart attack!

Tam said...

Now thats accentuating the positive!

And I guess he'll take that as a birthday wish...kind of.

Christie said...

I was planning on writing a post about Tom for all the things he has done for me, and they are all frighteningly similar to yours. We truly are kindred spirits!

Ron said...

Tell Matt that I started to feel old at 26. He can wait another year before he finds himself coming home from work and putting on flannel pajama pants and slippers, and reading about how the government is crooked, and then going to bed at 10.

Jesus I'm old.

Stephanie said...

"Poop!"

Hee hee hee hee. It is funny.

BTW: Hawk was born old. I think it's the eyebrows that make them that way.

Tam said...

Tom,

"I remember 25" sounds like youre talking about WWII. It was only a few years ago! And look at you. You're in your prime. You BOTH have nothing to gripe like an old man about.

Stacy Cane said...

I remember 25. No, actually, I don't.

Damn.

Beautiful story though, once I got the dirty thought out of my head when I read "I look like a girl scout without her uniform." heh.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.