Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Gift That Keeps On Giving




Britain turned two years old today. I keep reading that sentence over and over so it can sink in. My little girl, the one that fit inside my tummy, the one that came out three weeks early and was only 5 pounds, 14 ounces at a week old is a toddler.
There has been some stress lately...the wedding, the fighting, the fucking heat. And it's nice to take a day out from all of that and focus on the most important thing I've ever done. I don't usually brag about her. I feel like that's rude and obnoxious when parents go one and on about how wonderful their spawns are. But never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have such an amazing, beautiful, creative, loving, brilliant and halarious daughter.
Matt was at work and it was just Brit and I last night. I was holding her after her bath, pjs on, and she was getting all sleepy and goofy. Five minutes before she fell asleep, I asked her if she was ready for her birthday.
"Yea!"
I told her, "if you go to sleep, you'll wake up and it will be party time."
"Yea!"
Then I told her I loved her and that "today is the last day you're one." I got a little choked up. She held both of my cheeks, gave me that half asleep smile she's had since she was two months old and gave me a kiss.
Yea.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Brit! Wow! 2! She'a an absolute doll!

MrsTito said...

She is a beautiful girl, and you are lucky to have her in your life. But, you know that. Enjoy 2. It goes faster than 1. My Emily turned 3 on Saturday, so now I have a pre-schooler! YIKES!

Kristen said...

I just can't wait til shes old enoough to get drunk have Ray hit on her. I would have done another slide show if I remembered.

Rachel said...

Wow...two years. That went by so fast. It's ok to brag about your daughter. I mean, come on now, she's the most gorgeous little girl in the world, and her mother is just as much so. LoL. Go on, go on... ;)

Ron said...

I always thought that Herpes was the gift that keeps on giving?

Christie said...

This one made me teary. Happy Birthday, Britain!

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.