Friday, December 08, 2006

Agree To Agree

So are we to disagree with Gwyneth? Really? When we have mothers using their children as weapons in domestic disputes and Larry The Cable Guy? Are we really that civilized? I think it's clear as day. But maybe that's just me. Then again, I do wish I wasn't.

I get really pissed off at patriotic assholes that wave their car flags around everywhere they drive (George Washington would have a shit fit) and write BIN LADEN IS AN ASSHOLE on their airbrushed trucks, but really have no clue why they are being patriotic...just that it's the right thing to do. Although, I'm a walking contridiction because I can't say I have all the information either.

It seems everyone just flies off the handle anytime anyone has an "unpatriotic" opinion (the Dixie Chicks VS Texas incident). I realize I'm going to get flack for this, and that's fine. I'm used to it. I realize I live in a free country and bitch about living here. But I think it's horrible that in a so-called free country where we have freedom of speech, we can't utter one damn word when we don't like something about it. Oh, and her.

8 comments:

Jerry said...

People complaining about Gwyneth Paltrow's statement is not an example of censorship. It's just not. Nor is the uproar that followed the antics The Dixie Chicks. Adverse reactions to such statements doesn't make our country any less free, as you seem to suggest.

The First Amendment doesn't protect anyone from public outcry or condemnation. It only protects the statements back and forth. If a person feels like he can't speak for fear of the reaction, well, that's his concern.

Do you suppose it would be better if we as a free society were permitted to do no more than fold our arms and frown any time someone says something to which we object?

Perhaps that should be the rule only when it concerns something to which conservatives or patriots object. What a wonderful world that would be!

Tam said...

As I mentioned, I am a walking contridiction. I'm not trying to take you or anyone else on. I just don't believe Gwyneth (or her publicist) should have to make up some lame excuse just because she, as an American, thinks another country might be superior in any way, shape or form. It's just unfortunate is all.

But I honestly do appreciate your feedback.

Melissa Clouthier said...

Thanks for the link. Like Jerry says, Gwyneth and the Dixie Chicks are free to say what they want. People are free not to buy their products.

Are you implying, with the link to the psycho mother who used her baby as a projectile, that this woman makes you less proud of America? I think the woman is a beast. She represents herself. Her dim-bulb lover is excusing her behavior? I hope he doesn't get custody of the child.

Stephanie said...

Gwyneth is a pain in the ass though. Why was she being interviewed? She hasn't worked in ages so she's relevant... how?

She & Madonna should just have a big "I hate everyone who's not me" tea party and close the damn door.

Tam said...

Dr. Melissa,

I guess what I was trying to demonstrate is that we aren't all civilized and worth getting all worked up about. I was talking to my sister and while she feels Gwyn's interview was a bad statement to make on Americans as a whole, she realizes everyone has assholes. Maybe even Britain! GASP!

Tam said...

That's so funny Steph (Eden)because I can't imagine them having ANY other type of party. I wonder which hat Madge would wear.

Kristen said...

I love how some of your commentors are proving the point of the post itself. Learn to read people. Mostly what irritates me about Gwn is how she was touting organic food 2 years ago on Oprah and at the time I thought she was an asshole. Now I'm that asshole. Plus I do think the quote was created by the writer of the article. We can't trust the media anymore, especially when it comes to celebrities.

Anonymous said...

Yes, certainly don't leave the media out of this. The media often have an agenda to push when some dumb ass celebrity or politician just opened their mouth (or didn't in this case) at the wrong time.

It's always a bigger deal when someone who is a celebrity says something bad/stupid/unfortunate. There are jackasses I work with who say stupid shit regularly. It doesn't make People magazine. It just makes them my enemies. Mwah-hah-hah. Die morons, die!

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.