Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Are You Sure You're A Feminist?

This will probably sound bad, horrible even, but sometimes I feel bad that Britain is female. Now, I realize Matt's sperm was the deciding factor in determining her sex and I really can't feel TOO responsible, but I do feel like she won't have as much opportunity. Am I wrong though? I know women can do ANYTHING a man can do. I am SURE my mother has done far more than most men could ever accomplish. But going through life as a woman...I believe there are certain advantages we, as women, just don't equally receive.

I'm not sure what it feels like to be a guy. I've never had a hard on in Social Studies. I've never been kicked in the nuts. I can hug anyone I want at any time without my sexuality being questioned (except those lingering, full body hugs I give to Kristen.) But I HAVE been called "Honey", "Sweetie" and "Sweetheart" (all today). I HAVE been second guessed on my athletic ability just for the simple fact that I have (small) breasts. And intellectually, I've been looked down by my own teachers in Math, Science, and Industrial Arts and been graded as such.

Awhile back, I saw a study on girls and boys being called on to answer questions in a classroom. More than 60% of the kids called on were male, and more females were raising their hands than male. By the end of the study (over the course of a month) less and less females continued to raise their hands and the ratio stayed about the same if not a little higher. The real kicker was that the teacher was female, herself.

It is not my intention to get into a Men Vs. Women debate. I realize we both have it rough. But I DO believe that Britain will be treated negatively just for the simple fact that she has ovaries.

9 comments:

Tam said...

Im sure the interracial aspect doesn't help either.

Kristen said...

I can not believe you fell for Sharons guilt trip! You should have come back with imagine what its like to be female and functionally retarded. Not that you're retarded or anything. I just meant as an example.

Tam said...

Actually I was hoping you could photoshop me as if I were black.

Tam said...

What happened to your blog, Sharon?

Kristen said...

That makes me think of that black & white show on FX - did anybody watch? Somehow I missed the whole thing. I hope they replay it.

Tam said...

Trisha,

You make a great point...and you have the research to back it up.

I guess the only thing we can do is home school our children and only surround them with unbiased, non-judgemental, all-nuturing people who don't know words like "hate" and "stupid".

Yea, that should do it.

Michelle said...

I understand what you're saying, but I have to say I found it strange coming from someone who hails from a family of strong women and "weak" men. Just sayin'. I say raise her with the attitude that there's nothing she can't do and she'll be fine with that. Regardless of sex, we all have struggles in life to deal with. Hey, try being a lesbian who is a single mother of a biracial child. And I'm a short, fat, red-head. You think people don't assume I can't do anything but run a cash register when they see me? Ah, but little do they know...there's nothing I can't do. I plan on being in the top 3 of pharmacy school. Tru Dat!

Mr. Bebout said...

I think a lot of a child's development and opportunity comes from their parents. if parents have a woe is me and you outlook, then so will the kids.
Teachers call on people who don't know the answer to make the kids feel bad and stupid. Girls always know the answer because they study and do homework. Boys play and run around and just don't know the answer.
Boys are slower to develop boring traits that schools love. Parents have stopped being in charge of their kids and allow the schools to say what their kids is like and the parent shoves the kid into that mold.

Tam said...

I just have all these worries and doubts. It must just come with the territory.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.