Monday, March 27, 2006

Depression Is For The Self-Absorbed

Although I don't believe in God, I believe in angels/ghosts. I don't think they are just hanging out like perverts watching us shower though. I believe if they are around someone, there is a certain purpose, whether they are looking out for them or making them trip down the steps because they are bastards. I think at least one is watching out for me.

Some people don't know this, but I've been in MANY auto accidents. Thankfully I was only the driver in TWO of them. I've been hit by two drunk drivers, side-swiped, knocked into two telephone poleson two seperate occassions, been rear ended, and two of the cars have been totaled. Amazingly, the most serious injury I endured was glass in my undies.

In fact, throughout my life, I've never broken one bone, never had one stitch (not even with Britain) and still have all my toes. I also used to think I couldn't have children. I actually tried with my ex for over a year with countless negative pregnancy tests. Perhaps Britain didn't come at the perfect time, but I couldn't ask for a better baby with a better man and am thankful everyday that I'm finally a mother. And I'm not only lucky to have such a beautiful, loving and supportive family but wonderful friends as well who I know I can count on if ever I'm in need. (Creating the wedding list has really opened my eyes up to who is TRULY important to me.) I have a great life. I have a fortunate life. Its not as spectacular as some, but not as hard as others. And there's always something worth smiling over if you really think about it.

There is a new study out that links depression and heart disease. I'm not exactly saying depression doesn't exist or certain people are plagued differently from the disease, but I DO think that not going to therapy, not getting on medication (if needed) and wallowing in self pity doesn't help the matter. So look around you, idiot. Figure out what is right and beautiful in your life. No one else is going to get you out of the funk. Until you do, no one will want to be around you! If there is one thing I can't stand, its a negative attitude. And its no wonder if also effects your health.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I told you I was sorry for saying you have a mustache! You don't have to come down so hard on me here, man!

Stephanie said...

I went through a bout of depression and tried handling it myself (I am Ms Independence) but it wasn't enough. I went on medication and it was enough to get me over the hump. After a few months, I was back to my usual self.

It's a shame so many people are resistant to taking medication for depression. To paraphrase Craig Ferguson, no one goes up to a one-legged man and says, "Why do you need that crutch? Throw it away!"

It all goes back to the stigma of mental illness, I think. I think the #1 thing my husband sees people for is probably depression. It often goes hand-in-hand with other illnesses or conditions. I think if people realized how common depression was, they'd be more open to talking about it.

BTW: I know a good electrolosist for that moustache.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.