Tuesday, January 24, 2006

AAAACHOOOOOOOOOO!

Everyone around me is sick. My mother checked into the hospital today for pneumonia (Get Well Soon, Mom). Matt and I ran Brit to the ER Saturday for a chest xray (found slight pneumonia and her bron-chio-li-tis is back). The girls I nanny are spewing yellowish green mucus from many orifices. And I'm carrying around an industrial sized bottle of Purel.

This morning, I'm standing in the bathroom with Britain, shower running, hot water on all the way, trying to steam out what ever liquid has filled her lungs. When her breathing didn't improve, off we were to the doctor's office for a breathing treatment. They ended up sending us home with the machine so we could do follow up treatments. I've been in the damn doctor's office every week for over a month with her. I'm afraid people are going to start to think I have Munchausen By Proxy Syndrome.

"Maybe if you didn't work as a nanny, she wouldn't be so sick." No, there aren't ANY germs anywhere else, like the grocery store, the public library, the fucking doctor's office I take her to when she needs her shots, letting YOU hold her.

"Make sure those kids wash their hands when they get home." Yeah because I haven't been making them wash their germ infested hands when they get home for YEARS, as if I didn't know what the hell I was doing before now. Its been almost ten years. If I haven't caught on thus far, I should have had OCY called on me a long time ago.

"Its because you didn't breastfeed." Ok, that one is from the voices in MY head. Being a mom, you feel so damn responsible for every little thing that happens to your child. And yes, there is a horrible, guilty, little part of me that feels like a failure for being mammorically challenged.

I realize Britain was three weeks early, but what is all this sickness about? I can't even remember when she didn't have something wrong with her. From jaundice to conjuctivitis, it seems this little chick catches anything within a five mile radius. I'm surprised she hasn't contracted my cat's worms. And when someone that young has an illness, it is the most pitiful thing in the world. She just whimpers and looks up at you as if she's saying, "What the hell did I do to deserve this?". On top of teething, diaper rash and shitting yourself periodically, being sick must suck ass for a baby.

Don't stare at me when my baby coughs and sounds like a donkey in heat. Don't blame me if my kid looked your way and now your child sounds similar. And if your kid was sick before mine, its cool. Don't apologize! Children get sick. There's this nasty thing called the common cold. And we all get it...Young, old, smart, stupid and ignorant alike. We all have stared at a green light because we really shouldn't be driving while hopped up on Sudafed. We all have wiped snot on our sleeve because we ran out of tissues, napkins, paper towels, toilet paper and newspaper. And we all will more than likely be doing it again next flu season. So either accept it or get in a plastic bubble and pray for daylight.

7 comments:

Ron said...

Why did I have to find out online that my mother was in the hospital?

Mr. Bebout said...

The Younger is also in the middle of a 2nd bout with bron-chio-li-tis.
He has been on the treatments at home from the start. It is not any fun because he thrashes about and cries, but it seemed to work last time.

Kristen said...

Is gentile weather different from Jewish weather? I'm glad to hear there's something wrong with her. She's too freakishly pretty to be human otherwise. And with the poses for photos and what not, let's just say I'm relieved I won't have to stake her and set her afire one of these days.

Tam said...

Jr, I am only a branch of the phone tree...not the trunk. I did not know who did or did not know. I apologize. Call me for details. If it makes you feel any better, Dad didn't even know until late last night.

Anonymous said...

As the Older said, the Younger is on his second bout of bronchiolitis and I breastfeed. In fact the first time he had it I didn't want to believe it because they say breast is best. I took that to mean that he wouldn't get sick. I was wrong.

Tam said...

You've all made me feel so much better. Well not so much Kristen.

Tam said...

Dr. Webster who has been a dream and never makes me feel crazy. Hope all is well on your end too! Not to stir up anything, but I've read up on second hand smoke and even more harmful than smoke itself is the smoke that is left behind on pillows, bedsheets, furniture, someone's clothes, etc. We can't hide from it anywhere! Kids get sick. Its inevitable.

A nanny since 1996, I'm tired of washing nipples that aren't mine.